Friday, February 02, 2007

Want a cup of coffee?



When I was little I only knew that coffee is a bitter beverage for adult only. My mom always had this black nescafe powder and served it to my father's friend. Hum..both my parents don't drink coffee a lot as far as I know (but they do drink tea every morning..sorry out of topic :p).
I did try once or twice but couldn't stand with the bitter taste, what was the enjoyment of drinking bitter-taste-coffee? A delicious drink should taste sweet-sour and it should smell nice. Coffee does smell good until today I still think it does. My little me after all thought it didn't go well with the taste. That's why I put so many sugar when I said to everyone I could drink coffee and be a big-girl.

Then I went to this country, Netherlands, where everyone drinks tea, beer, and of course coffee as their must-drinking beverages. Even until today I am not a coffee addict but I can trully enjoy drinking coffee as much as I can, during work, school, or even when I'm home enjoying my free time. Sometimes I still put one or two teaspoon of sugar but the other time I can just drink two cups of black coffee without sugar and I can say no other taste goes well with coffee without its bitterness and that smell. In that bitter taste I can still sense the sweetness and excitement of drinking coffee as that liquid flows through my throat, warms my body, and refreshes my mind.

Am I trying to say I'm an adult now? That I don't really know. 23 years are long enough to see the sweet and bitter of life. I'm sure you get what I mean when you are living abroad alone miles away from your family. Maybe it sounds really fool when I say you need coffee to live in a country like Holland especially when it's winter. Sorry out of topic again.

I like drinking cappucino with a thick foam on the top of the cup. Even without sugar, it still tastes mild not really that bitter. I think it is the effect of milk mixed in it. However, when I was working in the office, I think two cups of pure espresso a day were the best to give a little refreshment besides keeping my eyes open and my mind focus.

I went to the cafe for the first time when I was doing my double degree in a little city called Gefle in Sweden. That was the first time too when I knew that coffee can be mixed with any kinds of flavours and tastes besides milk and chocholate and yet it tastes great. Say in that cafe, they mixed the coffee with hazelnoot, mocca, or even vanilla and served it with various kinds of shortcakes. It was just a cup of coffee and a piece of shortcake in a small coffee shop but it cost me around 500 SEK (around 6 or 7 Euros) to enjoy. Back in Holland, again I found that coffee can be mixed with some sorts of alcohol too, I like baileys-coffee with Irish cream a lot (does it make me an alcoholic?)


Now I am back to college and I have to save money for long-term supply. Thus, less going out and drinking along in a cafe. That's why back to instant coffee is a good choice after all. Lately in the morning I prefer drinking frappe a.k.a. ice coffee instant. It's just fresh and quick and of course can be drunk directly as it is cold already :p (no need to wait). Then sometimes in the cold evenings, I can make myself a cup of hot wiener melange instant as a substitute of my favourite, chocholate coffee. This is more less composed from similar ingredients, coffee, milk, and chocholate.

Well I think my family doesn't know about this recent habit of mine unless they read my blog. Ok that's it for now, want a cup of coffee?