Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Not born to cook but...


"I cannot cook" that was the sentence that I always told my friends in my first year in Holland. My roommate and not few of my other friends were really good in cooking and the good news they hardly cooked only for themselves. Honestly speaking, I really wasn't able to cook except boiling water, frying egg and other frozen food, and of course instant noodle. Even worse, I was a bad taster because I don't mind if it is too salty or not salty enough. For me, those cookings were simply much better than my cookings.

I didn't bluff about this cooking thing. Once I ever tried to cook a tomato soup with sausage and carrots for myself. It turned to be smelling good and looked delicious even my roommate admitted it because some minutes after she was tempted enough to taste it. Well, I don't think it is necessary to tell you what happened next..since afterwards she really forbade me to cook again and told me that from that time onward she would handle those cooking stuff in our room. Was it a good news (I mean when there was someone who cooked for me) or was that something that I should be shamed on as a woman?

Luckily I didn't have any boyfriend at that time. When finally I have one, I think that was the first time that I really wished to learn how to cook. However, to own such cooking ability in a short time was not as easy as turning the hand's palm. In the end, I ended up by having him cook for me instead I cooked for him and he never gave me a permission to cook anymore. Obviously, because my cooking would mostly turn out to be something weird and the taste was beyond your imagination (you know what I mean).

It is not that my efforts to learn cooking resulted in nothing. For very simple cuisines such as Tuna fried rice or friend noodle, I could make it quite well or at least eatable :p

Then I left for Sweden for a year. I think that was the best time to learn cooking and everybody would not hesitate to taste it because they never got any bad experience of my creations. Furhtermore, due to the fact my roomate and my friends were not there neither were my boyfriend and other people who used to cook for me, I had to make my own food to survive.

Now I can cook....normal foods. Even my friends and my boyfriend can trust what I am cooking now. Thanks GOD...He made everything possible.

This was something that finally made me believe when someone would like to progress in something, it is better to move to a new place or go to several place where you don't know before and none knows about you. Clearly because, people who stay in one place forever and never move out will get less chance to make significant progress or changes than those who always move from one to another place and meet new people. That's why people need experiences if they want to move forward.


END