Sunday, May 22, 2005

Story 4: Amsterdam here I come

I am caught in the moment with people I don't know. Finally, I'm in Amsterdam alone for the first time. An hour ago, I was so happy that I could enter my room. Without thinking so much, I took shower, dressed up, grabbed my key, and ran for the next train to Amsterdam. I was so pissed off by Tifa who left me without key in my hand, actually it was my own fault not remembering to take my key with me. But still, I got a little bit angry with her. She seemed hiding her plan to go to Zandvoort with Fajar from me.

So where am I going now?? I walk myself from the central station to the bridge where I can see some tourist boats by the Amstel river side. The weather is quite chilly and windy, even I wear my long underwear, I can still feel my feet trembling. I speed up my foot steps and go to the next place that I remembered when the last time I went to Amsterdam with Lia. It's about a month ago. I want to see the dam square, if I find it then I am (really) in Amsterdam. It's there...I can see it from distance a big square with the old castle and other big building around it. When I arrive right on the spot, I see some pigeons are there waiting for someone dropping snacks. Not as many as the first time I arrived in Amsterdam, it was summer, but they are still there now protecting their tiny bodies from the wind by making themselves looked fatter with those grey feathers. "Stubborn pigeons" I mumble while staring at them.

I wait until a trem passing by before I cross the street to the other side of the square with a famous monument that I forget the name and a big department store Bijenkorf on my left. Where am I suppose to go now? I look around and it seems everyone is the citizens of this region. My eyes suddenly catch a odd view in a corner of this square. A tourist group with a guide is having a trip around the city. "follow them", those are two words that I can think of in three seconds when seeing them heading to the side of this city that I've never been before.

Walking straight forward on a small path behind the square, this should end at the China town of Amsterdam, but it doesn't. I find myself in a place where high ancient buildings and typical Dutch houses are blocking the light. In the middle of that place stands a huge old church from black bricks and some long plants on its wall. The guide is speaking a language that I don't understand and the tourists are taking pictures of that weird place. I just keep following them as a stranger.

Then, they go to another small street between two buildings that have many glass windows and doors. I'm curious what they are "wow"ing about and walk to the small street to find out. One sexy girl is standing in front of the glass window, another one in a room besides her is trying to invite a guy to come in, another girl in the glass room on my opposite is fixing her bra, and many on my way to the edge of the street some also covered with red curtains. What the heck is this place?

I find fresh air again by the end of the street. A river in front of me with lots of bicycles on its sides and some bridges. I lost the tourist group but I don't care anymore since I couldn't take my eyes of what I've experienced. Well, it's six o'clock now..time to go home. At least, I've got enough fun and a fascinating adventure for myself.

Back in my room, I found no one there. My roomate, she should have come by now but she's not there. The room is just like when I left it. I think I know where she is, I go downstair to the first floor and knock on Lia's door. I'm right, she's there...she looks so happy when seeing me arrived. "Thanks God, finally you're here...I forgot my key when I was in hurry." that what she says to me. Ups..I notice both of us are just the same that time..she doesn't remember about the hostel assistant either who has a master key. Poor Willy..we hardly remember that we have a hostel assistant. Owari...^^;