Thursday, August 18, 2005

Facing the real world

I'm enjoying the sunshine outside my window while wearing my cardigan inside my office. What a contrast look...I'm freezing even there's no air conditioner and it's quite hot outside. I WANT TO GO OUTSIDE....yeah I wish I could. Do I really want to? nope...I'm still enjoying myself enough by sitting in front of my desk staring at a page of Rembrandt paintings book opening with a cup of hot coffee latte and a rice cookie snack...how fabulous and artistic is my situation. Well then I get a mood to write something on my blog.

I remembered when I wrote something about Indonesian dramas that are trapped in a fairy tail world. Not because I change my view about it, it just I'm thinking of a wonderful tale that is created by a modest story Honey & Clover--Hachimitsu to Clover.




If you see the opening song video clip, perhaps you'll think that this anime is kind of science fiction and imaginative with those artistic-weird-cuisines. It does tell about the daily living of a group of art university's students and their problematic life. But the storyline is not over someone's imaginations. Simple, comfortable, calm, funny, and entertained, those are feelings that I sense while watching it. I don't want to tell a long story here because it will make the scroll shorter and the blog page even longer. Just check the link above out if you to figure out the story.

Not like a common story where the main character will always get the dream girl, the heroine usually has a perfect body and face, or the handsome/pretty ones always get what they want. Almost everything in this story is turned up side down. The main character, Takemoto, is an ordinary college student and also the narator in the whole story. So most of the time the events that happens are viewed from his point of view.
Takemoto is falling in love with Hagumi a.k.a Hagu-chan, a 19 years old girl who more looks like an eight years old due to her chibi look. Unfortunately Hagu is having a crush with Takemoto's housemate, Morita Shinobu-kun (honestly, he's my fav chara here ^o^). Morita is actually a genius creative art student, only he's crazy about money very much (no one knows exactly what he does perhaps a secret agent?? he has a lot of hi-tech spy radar inside his room and a complicated password to enter his room ). Everytime, the job is calling, he will leave everything including the deadline of his final thesis as the ultimate condition so that he can graduate from the university. Therefore, Morita who should have graduated a few years ago, is still around in the university for his 6th year.
Morita always disturbs Hagu everytime he's around and hardly shows whether he has the same feeling towards that girl or not. Until one day, before Morita leaves for America without any news, he kisses Hagu in sudden, then the scene ends with Morita runs away when he realizes what he has done and leaves Hagu in confusion.

Another relationship that is appeared in the story is a triangle love story between Yamada Ayu, a beautiful adorable smart art student, who is expecting the love of Mayama, a graduated from art academy who works in an interior design company, Takemoto's sempai and housemate, who also loves hopelessly his sensei's wife in the same company, Rika-san. Mayama is not good looking even he's a very nice guy after all, this makes Ayu's fans become very jealous of him "A man like that is not suitable to get Ayu-sama's attention." Ayu tries many ways to have Mayama's attention, and she does get it since Mayama really care about her as a very good friend of him. But still Mayama's feeling towards Rika hasn't changed at all especially since he saved Rika who collapsed in her bathroom due to her painful and horrible accident scars on her body (Rika's husband dead in a car accident with her inside). Since then, Mayama feels responsible and wants to love her unconditionally even they know they'll never be together.

The story seems very dramatic for many audiences but still interesting to follow as the producer always put a lot of humors too in the right times (such as when Morita sang a nostalgic Japanese song in Hanami event and forgot his final project intentionally, or when Ayu was scared of leaving Hagu alone at home since Hagu reminded her of her dead cute little hamster). Those funny parts reduce the melancholic atmosphere in the story without ruining the main plot.

Well that's it, a good story is a story who is able to send the message to the audiences clearly and naturally. The happiness doesn't come from the happy ending, but more from how to finish the story well without leaving so many unanswerable questions. This reminds me to "Tersanjung" a never-ending Indonesian drama...this series is suck!! gomen (-__-#) but it is true according to me.