Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A valentine's chronicle

I never knew before what the importance of Valentine's day. Even people often said valentine does not always mean you should spend with your boyfriend or girlfriend, but still they associate this red-pink-day with a couple's things.
Some days or a week ahead before 14 February, many TV commercials, newspaper advertisements offer a price for two or a special package for two.

I remembered those days, when I accompanied my girl-friends shopping various chocolates with a cute decoration such as a forever friend holding the chocolate or one red rose with a heart-shape "I love you" chocolate.

Also at school, sometime, those who had already got a lover, they exchanged gift one to another in front of their classmates that made the whole class shouted those yell "whohooooo....!!!" and the couple's cheeks turned red.

My friend who was sitting beside me told me excitingly that he was going to ask his girlfriend out for dinner at a restaurant and then give her a pleasant surprise, a silver ring that he seek my advice before finally he decided to buy it. I thought how a sweet boyfriend he was (of course sweet for his girlfriend). Wished to have a boyfriend like him but not him and he was not my type :p

When I came back to my dorm, I saw overwhelming faces on my girl-friends who got some packs of chocolate and valentine cards. Then they started counting, comparing, and chatting about the boys who gave them those sweet gifts. I joined the conversation and answered them that I had got a bear-shape handmade chocolate from my bestfriend.

Honestly, there was a moment when I was jealous of my friends because I have no close boy-friend who would give me chocolate on V's day. "No boy-friends no chocolate" but it is not true actually. I still could proudly say that I got the best gift on my valentine as my bestfriend was there for me. Well a friend does last forever right?

2 years after my last valentine in High School, I met my someone who, later, officially became my first valentine. Our first valentine as a couple was spent alone because he was living in other city and that day he had to work part time in a restaurant. In contrast, I was enjoying my quiet moment at home while receiving some valentine text messages from my friends which most of them with a little quote "share this day with someone you love..." Well next year I guessed. Anyway, I did not feel lonely as there was someone who cared and told me how he wished to be with me at this moment.

A year after, 2005, I was in other country when it was close to Valentine day. My housemate and I shared the same feeling of having someone in other part of this continent. We shopped together and bought a valentine card to be sent later.

My someone did not prepare any gift for me, and he really did. Instead, he was flying to meet me on Valentine day. I think it was the best gift that he gave me *smile*

This year valentine is not less surprise. He called me that night to say happy valentine and he told me to open one of shelf in my wardrobe. A lovely scarf was wrapped nicely with a card on the top of it and kept safely in a little black bag. He had put it there when I was not aware. I'm so excited back then. Does a girl really love surprise? Well I don't know exactly but I like the way he treated me. The best thing that I got this year's valentine is not only the scarf but it is also a gift of having someone who care about me and I care about him.
A lover might not be last forever, but when you are with him/her, that could be the best thing that ever happened in your life.

At last valentine is not the matter of always giving and receiving chocolate or other presents. To acknowledge that there is/are someone/people that love you and care about you so much, after all I think it is the most beautiful thing of all.

Happy Valentine...:)