Monday, August 20, 2007

Learn when to stop or go on

Many say that work hard for living. The Bible says, you who are lazy don't eat. Well I don't deny it, when I started working I learn that earning income is not as easy as asking money from my parents. We do need to do some works in order to live in real world or when we decide to start living independently apart from our parents including their financial help.



The other also say when something allows you to earn more money you should keep doing it. This time this sentence has stopped me for a moment before I agree on it. Some thoughts are popping out in my mind,



whether it is absolutely right statement or not,

will it make me happy to have more money?

Will my saving enough to cover all my costs if I don't do part-time job?

or

If I continue, could it lead me to be a "money's slave? (this one is scary)

Then I look back at myself and ask, "are you strong enough to work seven days a week? I mean five weeks in the office and two days part-time during weekend?" Honestly, my body and my mind can't really handle it. To have extra income from weekend job is tempting
but
to be with my beloved and my friends during weekend are even more alluring.
My bf often comments that usually that exhausted tiring face and voice are always there everytime I finish my part-time work and then he gets upset that I have only a short time to chat with him because I directly go to bed an hour later after coming home. Just for your information the take-away shop where I work is in another city that takes me about one-hour for one-way trip.

What a long thinking that I had. Until two weeks ago I still considered it is ok to work on the weekend because my friends can do that and so can I. Then last Saturday I hurt my own back while tyring to lift a heavy crate of frozen food back to the fridge at my work (it did make "cracky" sound). After the little incident, I could barely stand up well when I woke up on Sunday morning. Actually I still have to work that afternoon in the same place. I went to church but my mind was not on ease, kept thinking whether I should go to work or stay and take a rest. I asked forgiveness from God for not focusing all my heart and mind during the service.
Finally after it finished I made my decision and called my lady-boss to cancel my work today. It was quite a shame as in Holland when you have made an appointment it surely is impolite to cancel it in less than two hours before the appointment time.

However, on the other hand, I think that I had made a right decision that time. I might lose my job but it is better than I fall sick even more and cannot work anymore.

What I learn so far is to know my own condition...and realize that everyone has different limit and capabilities.